Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Review: Thorn Abbey by Nancy Ohlin

Thorn AbbeyThorn Abbey by Nancy Ohlin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Thorn Abbey is a retelling of Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. I like some things about Thorn Abbey, however a couple things bugged me.

This story is about Tess, a new student at Thorn, who isn't the rich sort that usually inhabits the school. Tess is the smart girl, she likes to learn, and she is the type who on some levels I can totally relate. The relationship between her new roommate and herself is somewhat hard to describe. Devon is a not very nice 5 letter word, she is the type who often you think might be nice and then puts you down.

So back to Tess, I can relate yes, the smart girl...but I just could not stand the overwhelming feelings she had for Max. Max is the love-interest in the story, smart, athletic, super hot, brooding...you know the type that all the girls fall for. I understand in the dynamic of the story the romance was important, but it just didn't click for me.

And then there is Becca, the ex (the deceased ex). One would think that the dead girlfriend wouldn't be much of a competition. Yet she was perfect, flawless...you know the Queen B type. Even dead one could hate her, she just didn't seem that perfect to me.

I liked this one because there were some twists I didn't expect, I knew what was going to happen, but that one big twist at the end, I didn't expect that one.

My overall impression would probably be a 3.5.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment