Sunday, July 19, 2015

Book Review: The Diviners by Libba Bray

The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)The Diviners by Libba Bray
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So picking apart this Libby Bray book, is like a 1000 piece puzzle, with too many blues, too many reds, and not enough edge pieces.

It took me awhile, I feel good that I finished, but I also feel like I am missing pieces. So let me list everything I liked, disliked, wanted to scream at, wanted to cringe etc.

The characters-

Evie- What can I say about Evie, she had this Scarlett O'hara vibe, you hate to love her, and you love to hate her. She was annoying, but I could not help but to like her at times. She was a bad influence, a lush, selfish, but at the same time, loyal, at times had other peoples interest first in her mind. I think it was the love she had for her brother that sort of won me over.

Jericho- Okay I liked him, but then I got to that big reveal, I was like wait a minute, what genre of book am I reading. I am so confused...

other characters- Okay so I am lumping here, don't get me wrong, I did like all the other characters, but those two really stuck out for me.

I couldn't get past the vernacular, seriously people didn't talk in it all the time did they. Evie even had to translate a couple of times. Just throwing up my hands in frustration here.

Is it wrong for me to admit I found some of the content heavy, it made me think, made me ponder. It even had me cringing at times. I like that, I think that is what makes a book good, and an author great to read. Yes I will eventually get to the second book, I just think I need a break for awhile.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment