Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Review - Fire Country by David Estes

Fire Country (The Country Saga, #1)Fire Country by David Estes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was given to me by the author for an honest review.

Fire country takes places in a futuristic setting, we are introduced to The Heaters, who live and survive in the desert. Siena is the main character and even though I liked her, I really thought she was lacking in the self confidence. I know this changes as the story goes on, but still wished it happened sooner, she grows, but it is agonizing slow. We do see hints of her inner strength, as well as her rebellious nature.

The laws and Heater society seem really twisted from the beginning of the book. Girls of sixteen get sent to a Call, where their leaders chose a man from them to sleep with and bear children, forget about falling in love.

Circ is Siena's good friend, their relationship develops slowly, but I thought this was at a good pace, and very believable.

The supporting characters were good as well, and it even turns out Siena had a "Wilson" but this one wasn't a soccer ball but a prickly plant. Pretty much every character had a Wooloo moment or two, not going to mention my favorite though. Lara was very likeable, kinda wonder if we are going to see her more in later books.

I liked how the author even made up the swear words for his imaginary world.

I don't really think I have anything bad to say about this book, if you like books like The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) or even Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) (which I am also currently reading), then this one is a good one for you too.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment